Illustration and Visual Narrative Final Project



20/06/19- 10/07/19  (Week 13- Week 15)
Riyaz Mohamed Zain ( 0334031)
Illustration and Visual Narrative
Final Project

INSTRUCTIONS



FINAL PROJECT

Week 12

For our Final Project we were assigned to do a triptych based on one of the songs from the list of songs given below.


  • Fly me to the moon
  • The way you look tonight
  • Come fly with me
  • Girl from Ipanema
  • New York, New York
I chose to do my illustrations on the Song Fly me to the Moon because of I this was the song I was most Familiar with.

Fig 1.1 Mood Board
I did a research on artworks that had similar color schemes and drawing styles to what I had in mind for the songs. 

Fig 1.2 Concept Boards.
I rough sketches of the tryptych I wanted to create for the first three lines of the songs. My concept was to show what the guy was feeling when he was with this girl. His feelings are what we hear in the Lyrics.


Fig 1.3 Digitized artwork of the Sketches
Week 14
I then Digitized the Sketches on Photoshop. I wanted to retain a Hand drawn effect so I used a Graphics tablet to create my illustrations. I started experimenting with technique I could use for the artworks.


Fig 1.4 Galaxy Background
Fig 1.5 Adding color to the man
I started out by making a bright galaxy background for the artwork. I then used realistic colors for my character. I was not completely satisfied with outcome of this effect. I felt the background did not help focus the attention on the characters. I also was not happy with colors for this image so I decided to make some adjustments for the artwork.

as

Fig 1.6 Process of Final artwork

I got some ideas for my Color scheme for my Final Artwork from the Previous design I made. I noticed that the light reflecting from the Light beam was missing in my first design. So Decided to add these in the beginning this time. I really liked the effect I was getting from the Blue light so made the decision to color the character with a Monochrome shade of Blue.

Fig 1.7 first frame Adding the Light beam

Fig 1.8 1st frame Creating the Background

Fig 1.9 1st frame Adding stars
I found a brush that gave the effect of  neon light and using this I drew a string of light that started of around the couple and flowed around the characters. I used this Light beam to create a connection between the three artworks. For the background I simply used a low opacity soft brush to create soft strokes of Purple and Blue on a black background. Using the same soft brush I created a star brush and used this on top of the background to create the effect of a galaxy.


Fig 1.10 2nd Frame Stars
Fig 1.11 2nd Frame stars
For my 2nd frame I used the same effects I used in the 1st frame. In this frame I added two brighter stars at the tip of the couples finger. I also added a bunch tighter bunch of the stars under the character to make it seems like he was sitting on the stars.

Fig 1.12 Adding Planets

Fig 1.13 Making Cliff

 For my 3rd frame I added Planets in the background. I made a brush preset using images I downloaded of Jupiter and Mars and using this brush I made. For the mountain I used a brush preset made from a concrete block image I took.

Fig 1.14 Final Triptych
Animations
The next step for us was to animate the triptych. My idea was to animate the light beam.

Fig 1.15 animating on photoshop
For the effect I reduced the opacity of the light beam and and then reversed it. I also made the Stars shine while this happened. I applied the same effects for all three illustrations.

The final animations for triptych are Below.



Comments

Popular Posts