Design Principles Project 2


12/06/19- 25/06/19 (Week 11- Week 13)
Riyaz Mohamed Zain ( 0334031)
Design Principles
Project 2

INSTRUCTIONS




PROJECT 2

Week 11
For our Project 2 we were assigned to express the feel of a location/place of our choosing using any medium. We were told to choose a place that was close to where we stayed so that we can visit the place at different times of a day and understand the changes in the atmosphere and feel of the place. I chose to do my piece on the Food truck stalls that comes to the road adjoining my building. They come on Tuesday's and Thursday's after 6 pm every week.

Fig 1.1 Photos of Food stalls.
I wanted to capture the food, the busyness, an the overall atmosphere of the Street. The streets are usually packed with students and residents of D'latour, these food trucks give us a chance to have a change in the monotonous meals that we are used to take and gives an opportunity to meet up with friends and Hangout. For us international students the food trucks is way to experience the variety of Malaysian foods.

Fig 1.2 Adding the background layer
 I started of my artwork by adding an image of a table top to be used as the background of the piece.

Fig 1.2 Adding more layers 
Fig 1.3 Adding trucks 
I then used the lasso tool to cutout some of the images so that it blended with the images in the background. Cutting the images also took it out of the rectangular boxes.

Fig 1.4 Adding the cutout of the chef



Fig 1.5 Crowd of People added 
After I added the background I then made cutout of the photographs of people enjoying their meals and hanging out at the Food trucks.

Fig 1.6 Filling up the empty spots with more trucks

Fig 1.7 Creating perspective

I wanted to create a sense of direction and show perspective in image. So I made duplicates of the lines on the road arranged it, so that it ran on top of the other images before disappearing under truck. This created the sense of perspective I was looking for.

Fig 1.8 Photoshop draft


Week 12
After I arranged the images in Photoshop I moved onto the second part of work. I wanted to make the images and the people to pop out showing the ambiance of the Food trucks. After doing some research I got the idea to give a comic like effect. I decided on this because comics are usually combined with colorful imagery surrounded by strong black or white lines that really help demonstrate the mood of a location.
Fig 1.9 Reference images

Fig 1.10 Reference image


Fig 1.11 Reference image
Fig 1.12 Reference image
I was Inspired by the artwork style used in The animation " Spider-man into the Spider verse". The style preserved the realism of characters but showed the movements and the moods on the scene using a Comic like effect. I wanted to do a similar effect on my artwork to communicate the feel of the food trucks.
Fig 1.13 Experimenting with Pen and Color pencils

Fig 1.14 Experimenting with paint and marker

I took a Print out of my work and started experimenting with some mediums such as paint,color pencils and pens. I found that the most effective way to create the effect was to use colored pens and highlighting the images using white and black pens. I also used colored to pencils in some areas to blend in the ink with printout.

Fig 1.15 Outlining images with black ink

Fig 1.16 Adding highlights and color
I started of my creating the black and white highlights and then adding color to make the images pop out.
Fig 1.17 Close up of artwork 
Fig 1.18 Close up of artwork 
Fig 1.19 Close up of artwork
Fig 1.20 Close up of artwork
I was successful in achieving the effect using the color pens and the highlights. I realized that the printout I had taken was slightly smaller than an A4 sheet. I used this an opportunity to further back up the effect. I colored an A4 sheet Black to be used as the background and  pasted the artwork down on it. I then cutout thin strips of white paper to create a border around the artwork to give the effect of a comic page clipping. This also created a strong contrast with the background which helped to draw more attention to the Artwork.

Fig 1.20 Final Artwork.

Comments

Popular Posts